Call for Submissions
The Qualitative Research SIG of the American Educational Research Association (AERA) invites nominations for Outstanding Book Award for significant contributions to methodology of qualitative educational research. The Qualitative Research SIG will also recognize the winner of this award during the 2015 annual meeting of AERA in Chicago, IL. Books published with 2013 or 2014 copyright date will be considered for this nomination as long as they were not previously submitted for this award. The book may have been published anywhere in the world, but for the purposes of consideration must be available in English.
Criteria for judging the merits of the books include the significance and timeliness of methodological issue(s) addressed, integrity and quality of the discussion of the methods used for an empirical study, and contribution of the book to the advancement of knowledge about an area in educational research that can benefit qualitative inquiry. Books that use qualitative methods but do not advance methodological issue(s), or theorization of methodology, or do not substantially address contemporary issues in educational research through advanced use of qualitative inquiry are not eligible for this award.
To be considered for this award, please submit 4 copies of each of the following:
- A submission abstract (no more than 200 words) that provides a full citation of the book, a rationale on how the book contributes to the field of qualitative methodology.
- Letter of nomination that includes a brief clarification of the purposes, scope and quality of the book, an explanation of how the book contributes to the field of qualitative methodology (theoretically/pedagogically) and a discussion about why it is deserving of this methodological award.
- A summary of the book, prepared by the nominator, that gives an overview of the book, a description of individual chapters, and a statement that provides a context for book’s place in the field of qualitative research.
- A table of contents from the book.
- One representative chapter from the book that best exemplifies the contribution of the book to qualitative inquiry.
Nominations may be submitted by the author of the work, another scholar, or by the publisher of the work. Membership of the SIG is not a requirement for the nominee or nominator but is strongly encouraged.
Nominations must be received by Monday, November 3, 2014. Late nominations or incomplete nominations will not be considered. Please send nominations electronically to Dr. Kathryn Roulston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Award finalists will be contacted in early December 2014 and may be asked to advise their publishers to supply 4 copies of the book to distribute to the committee for further consideration.
Please address inquiries to:
Dr. Kathryn Roulston
Qualitative Research Program
Department of Lifelong Education, Administration, and Policy
University of Georgia
308 River’s Crossing
850 College Station Road
Athens GA 30605